Hello my lovelies! This week I had pleasure of interviewing fantasy author Kelly Blanchard. Kelly is the author of the Chronicles of Lorrek series. Well lets see what she has to say!
A bit about her:
Known as The Muse within her writing circle, Kelly Blanchard first became serious about writing at age twelve and worked hard to learn and fully comprehend the numerous elements of writing. She tutored and assisted teaching in college while she studied for her degree in English. After graduation she continued tutoring children and even taught several classes. Now she’s established an online community to assist fellow writers in understanding their craft.
Outside of writing, Kelly enjoys baking her world famous chocolate chip cookies, and she takes great pleasure in the company of her two cats and her Doberman Pinscher. From a family of five sisters and four brothers, she uses her experience with the family dynamic in her writing. She also practices Martial Arts, fencing, and archery–all important knowledge to have in order to write more accurately.
Writing and stories are important to Kelly. They are a reflection of reality, and she tries to capture that reflection in a way that sparks the imagination even if it means bending a few rules and blending several genres.
1. What inspired you to start writing? I don’t know what inspired me to begin writing. Stories have just been a huge part of my life. Even as a kid, before I knew how to write, I was drawing stories just to get stories out of my head.
2. How long have you been writing? I really made the conscious decision to get serious about my writing when I was about twelve, so about twenty-one years!
3. Have you always wanted to be a writer? Yep! Always!
4. What is the most difficult part about writing for you? Honestly, I don’t have too much difficulty actually writing. The hard part is really marketing. That can be so difficult. Thankfully, I’ve now signed on with Fallbrandt Press, who is doing all the marketing for me, so I get to do what I enjoy—writing!
5. How do you balance writing and life in general? I set goals for myself. I write first thing in the morning (sometimes 3am when my cats wake me and I can’t go back to sleep. I figure I might as well be productive) so at least I can say my writing is done. After that, I focus on whatever life throws my way.
6. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? How many have I written? About thirty. Not all of those will EVER see the light of day, but they’re still completed and I draw inspiration from them sometimes. I had published three historical fiction books but then decided I really didn’t like historical fiction as much as fantasy, so I unpublished those without ever publishing the fourth book of the series that I had written. Then I’ve published seven of the nine books of my fantasy/sci-fi series, The Chronicles of Lorrek. I have another completed five-book series after that that will begin being published either the end of this year or the beginning of next. Then I have another completed trilogy that will be released after that series. And right now my husband and I are co-writing the second book in yet another series. It’s a lot of fun!
7. What is the most surprising thing you discovered while writing your book(s)? I have to say that I am usually pleasantly surprised when I discover that I am capable of writing a certain kind of character or perfecting a twist. I kinda always challenge myself to little things as a way to keep growing as a writer, and it’s great to see when I actually accomplish my little goals.
8. Do you have a favorite character that you have written? If so, who? And what makes them so special. Lorrek, the main character in the Chronicles of Lorrek, will always hold a special place in my heart. He’s a powerful sorcerer, but he keeps getting blamed and is always misunderstood and assumptions are made about him. He’s a different kind of hero, and I think it’s very relatable, and that’s why I love him so much.
9. Where can readers purchase your books? They can purchase it on Amazon. The first three books are actually available in a box set that is only $0.99! It can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0881YRYS6 But if you are interested in all seven books right now, you can find them here: https://www.amazon.
10. Can you share with us something about your current work in progress that isn’t in the blurb? All I can say is that the series my husband and I are currently working on takes place about a year after the Chronicles of Lorrek. We get to see the condition of the world that we left it in the last book of the Chronicles of Lorrek and how different characters are adjusting to changes that are being made.
11. What do you hope your readers take away from this book? I’d like the readers to enjoy a good book and enjoy seeing familiar characters and things they have to deal with in the aftermath of the Chronicles of Lorrek.
12. Do you write listening to music? If so, what music inspired or accompanied this current book? I usually write in silence unless there is a lot of noise around me that is very distracting. If that’s the case, I turn on music and usually listen to Audiomachine, Epic Score, Two Steps from Hell—mainly just epic music.
13. Do you have any more books planned? Oh yes! The series I’m currently working on will be four or five books long. After that, I have about five or six other series planned. Every time I begin a new series, I always come up with yet another idea for a new series, so it’s unending, but I have no complaints!
If you would like to check her out a bit more here are her social media links.
Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/groups/MusesRealm
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/AuthorKellyBlanchard
Fallbrandt Press Author Page: https://www.fallbrandtpress.com/kelly-blanchard-media-page
I want to say a big thank you to Kelly Blanchard for allowing me to interview her. It was fun